⚠ DISCLAIMER: This is not a fully fleshed out guide, but a summary of incomplete information on the event that will help you getting in on the fun on your own terms.
Engage brain and apply logic based on personal circumstances for maximum efficiency.
Official announcement post by CCP.
Come in various sizes (1, 5 and 10 pilots) and types (highsec, lowsec, nullsec). Depending on which, these will teleport you directly into a system where a “volatile snow storm” is going on.
These from the storms affected areas give a bonus to overheating modules and will spawn the event sites.
Earning points for the Winter Nexus rewards from the Agency can be done by a huge variaty of tasks: Mining ice, hitting objects, players or NPCs with snowballs, participating in running sites. It’s really up to you. And when you combine these tasks, you can get to 900 points in a couple hours.
The other way than filaments to find the storms is to use the filter in the in game map under Geografy / Metaluminal Storms:
The difficulty of the event sites from easiest to hardest is again: highsec, nullsec, lowsec. A good part of the ISK-payouts will be in looted Overseer effects which are rather bulky. Having a ship with a larger cargo hold may come in handy.
- One can, about 15km away from the warpin.
- Much more value in lowsec
- No NPCs spawn in these sites, but be wary of players.
- Gated and limited to Mining Ships
- Combat fitted Endurances or Procurers may happen
- No NPCs spawn here. At least none from the Event, maybe the regular belt NPCs can come in like they sometimes did in previous event sites. So don’t go completely afk.
- Mine Ice, drop off the right type into the Orca on grid, and receive rewards.
- Gated, so you have little prewarning of what comes in by spamming dscan.
Warp at 10km to avoid to bounce on the gate.
- It can take a few seconds, until the NPCs warp in.
- Highsec: 1 Wave on NPCs: 2-5 frigates 2-5 cruiser/battlecruiser sized NPCs
- Lowsec: 2 Waves, then Battleship-Boss
- Battlecruisers work, but tend to be a bit unrelaxed and require some good skills and heat management at times when you get a bigger spawn of cruisers/battlecruiser NPCs. Or, just bring a friend.
- Most people seem to favor Battleship sized hulls to run these sites.
- NPCs are weak to EM/Thermal
- NPC will shoot mostly EM/Thermal but also do ~20% Kinetic and Eplosive
- Armor Tank on average better if not T2/T3 Minmatar hull
- NPCs will come within a 20km range
- Close range weapon systems will be an option
- Bringing a Web is a good idea to slow down Frigate NPCs and increase tracking
- Frigates orbit at around 5km, Cruisers at around 10-15km.
- Expect to get tackled with webs and scrams and disruptors in the site.
- Drones will be shot on sight again. So you can kind of “off-tank” if you bring some sturdy ones.
- No weapon disruption (nor tracking or guidance) in highsec sites.
- A Beacon will be spawned on the overview as soon as someone has initiated a warp to it. This way you can determine if a site may be currently ran or has been attempted even from without d-scan range.
- Boss Battleship will web, point and neut.
- Boss Battleship will also do Kinetic and Explosive damage.
- Boss Battleship has in highsec a 2 million bounty, in lowsec 50 million.
- The last Battleship will also carry the only loot of the site.
Video by erstschlag
Video about the Winter Nexus combat event sites.
The usual: Skins, Drugs, Accelerators, Fireworks, Overseer’ Effects and some meta modules. If you are lucky, you may also get Sansha’s faction modules. And there is also new apparel to be aquired.
And finally, some screenshots of the sites
And at last, for the low chance that you have clicked on this post because you saw a Legion in the thumbnail: here is the fitting I used for the highsec sites:
[Legion, Laser-Legion] Dark Blood Medium Armor Repairer Heat Sink II Imperial Navy Multispectrum Energized Membrane Reactive Armor Hardener Heat Sink II Dark Blood Medium Armor Repairer 10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery Caldari Navy Stasis Webifier Warp Scrambler II Heavy Pulse Laser II Heavy Pulse Laser II Heavy Pulse Laser II Small Energy Neutralizer II Heavy Pulse Laser II Heavy Pulse Laser II Heavy Pulse Laser II Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II Medium EM Armor Reinforcer II Medium Thermal Armor Reinforcer II Legion Core - Augmented Antimatter Reactor Legion Defensive - Nanobot Injector Legion Offensive - Liquid Crystal Magnifiers Legion Propulsion - Wake Limiter Conflagration M x12 Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x6 Scorch M x6 Imperial Navy Standard M x6 Nanite Repair Paste x200 Yoiul Festival Snowball x50 Synth Drop Booster x2 Synth Exile Booster x2 Festival Launcher x1